Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Genesis 16 - 18

Sarai, Abram's wife, hadn't yet produced a child. She had an Egyptian maid named Hagar. Sarai said to Abram, "GOD has not seen fit to let me have a child. Sleep with my maid. Maybe I can get a family from her." Abram agreed to do what Sarai said. Genesis 16:1-2 THE MESSAGE

Are you a "fixer?" I know in recent days I have been convicted by the Holy Spirit that I have tried to fix a problem or situation instead on waiting on God and His perfect timing.

Despite Sarai's attempt to fix or to fulfill God's promise, He still chose to fulfill His promise to Abraham:

When I arrive, your wife Sarah will have a son." Sarah was listening at the tent opening, just behind the man. Abraham and Sarah were old by this time, very old. Sarah was far past the age for having babies. Sarah laughed within herself, "An old woman like me? Get pregnant? With this old man of a husband?" GOD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh saying, 'Me? Have a baby? An old woman like me?' Is anything too hard for GOD? Genesis 18:10-14 THE MESSAGE

Even though God fulfilled His promise, Sarai's choices still had consequences. Her servant had a son with Abraham named "Ishmael."

He'll be a bucking bronco of a man, a real fighter, fighting and being fought, Always stirring up trouble, always at odds with his family." Genesis 16: 12 THE MESSAGE

As we continue to read the Old Testament, we'll discover together the ongoing consequences of Sarah's choices.

Lord, help me not to attempt to fix things in my own power but to wait on You and Your perfect timing. Nothing is too hard for You!

--michele

2 comments:

  1. I have been convicted on being a "fixer" myself especially when I get too obsessed about something. Control is my middle name, but I am so thankful He has a new name for each of us found in Him. Love your thoughts so far and glad you are part of "String of Pearls"! Love, Annette G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annette for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete