Friday, February 19, 2010

The king said, "Not on Your Life!" - Numbers 18 - 20

Moses sent emissaries from Kadesh to the king of Edom with this message: "A message from your brother Israel: You are familiar with all the trouble we've run into. Our ancestors went down to Egypt and lived there a long time. The Egyptians viciously abused both us and our ancestors. But when we cried out for help to God, he heard our cry. He sent an angel and got us out of Egypt. And now here we are at Kadesh, a town at the border of your land.

"Will you give us permission to cut across your land? We won't trespass through your fields or orchards and we won't drink out of your wells; we'll keep to the main road, the King's Road, straying neither right nor left until we've crossed your border."
The king of Edom answered, "Not on your life. If you so much as set a foot on my land, I'll kill you."


The People of Israel said, "Look, we'll stay on the main road. If we or our animals drink any water, we'll pay you for it. We're harmless—just a company of footsore travelers."


He answered again: "No. You may not come through." And Edom came out and blocked the way with a crowd of people brandishing weapons. Edom refused to let them cross through his land. So Israel had to detour around him. Numbers 20: 14 - 21 The Message



I realize my thoughts today aren't deep or necessarily meaningful but it is what came to mind as I read today's passage. When I was a child I couldn't comprehend numbers. Well, today I have a better grasp on them. Reading the book of Numbers and the 600,000 plus men that were counted did not take into account the total number of people such as women, children, cattle, goats, sheep and personal possessions. As I read, I realized that a million plus people were moving from Egypt toward the Promised Land (per Crabb's book it was over 2 million people). Wow!

In September 2005, Hurricane Rita was the 4th most instense hurricane on record and its target destination at the time was Houston. Because of what happened a month earlier in New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina, a mass exodous of people from the Gulf Coast cities started evacuating. It made national news. If you remember the mass of cars stuck on the highways trying to get away. My family was one of them.

As we traveled along, restaurants had run out of food, gas stations had no fuel, and the traffic moved only inches per hour. Because places had run out of food and supplies, they just closed. I remember our family needing a bathroom break. We walked over to a hotel and the lobby doors were locked. We knocked as asked if we could please use the restroom. The lady said she wasn't supposed to, but did let us in and locked the door behind her. As we came out of the restrooms, there were others at the door wanting in and the lady told them, "no." Unfortunately, I think their "no" was because of their skin color. We were all just "footsore travelers" very weary trying to move our families to a safer place.

The Bible does not tell us why the king said no to Moses; but, I can most certainly imagine why! Even though Moses said they would stick to the road to pass through, I imagine the king was concerned for the mass number of people and what it might do to his city. Think of the gridlock created as a million plus people moved through his town. Moses tried to plea with the king about what had happened to his people as they were fleeing from Egypt. I was pleaing with a hotel clerk just to let our family use a bathroom as we were fleeing the storm.

Hurricane Katrina and Rita forever changed how we look at things. My hometown has changed significantly because of the large influx of people from New Orleans that has taken up a permanent residence in my town. In the past, I may not have understood the impact of the Israelites traveling through the wilderness but have a little more understanding of the hardship they may have encountered along the way.

Lord, I do not always understand the thoughts that come to mind while I am reading through Your word. It doesn't seem all that significant. Thank you for a little more understanding and perspective.

--michele

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you're in Houston. So am I. We will have to meet soon for coffee in real life, maybe with Annette H, who is in Richmond. I love what you write on our readings! Email me if you'd like awgeffert@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete