Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Family Tree


I Chronicles 9 - 11

This is the complete family tree for all Israel, recorded in the Royal Annals of the Kings of Israel and Judah at the time they were exiled to Babylon because of their unbelieving and disobedient lives. I Chronicles 9:1

I was thinking as I was reading through all the names and how interconnected they are and how God preserved, always kept a remnant, to prepare the way of the Lord Jesus. God was careful to leave us the details in His word. I am amazed from those who have studied how these family groups are relevant today in our current events.

My mom did quite a bit of research on our family tree. It was surprising to find out that one line of the family had several preachers or ministers over several generations. I am also finding it interesting the interconnection of personal relationships in my life and how they are coming around full circle.

I don't know if I have the right words to illustrate what I am meaning or feeling.

When I was in ninth grade, my parents and I joined a new church that had an active youth choir ministry. The church at that time did not have a youth ministry as you see in churches today. Sonny Steed, the minister of music, has had an amazing impact on the kingdom of God. As I reflect on the people that have come through his ministry, many have gone on into full-time Christian service, or they are faithful servants in their churches and their children have gone on to full-time ministries. I am aware of the spiritual impact that is has and is going to have on the generations to come.

Just prior to my senior year in high school, the church called its first Minister of Youth. Although I had grown up in church, David Gentiles, was the first who taught me about the disciplines of the Christian walk; how to have a quiet time, meditating on the Word and other disciplines such as fasting, etc. We had our first discipleship weekend called "Salt/Light." My small group leader for that brief weekend was Don Piper. I don't remember if he was even married then. Don was a good friend of David's.

Just this week, I read Don's book Ninety Minutes in Heaven. In his book, he shares the impact that David had been in his life. Don later was on staff with Sonny Steed. I read the book with mixed feelings because David Gentiles is presently with the Lord since December 2009. David has also had a great spiritual impact on many lives, mine being one of them. When I think of David, I think of Jesus. He loved in that way. He had a special gift. David also believed God. His kind of belief is contagious.

I have always "believed" in God and I do have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus. I have a growing awareness of God's presence and it is overwhelming. As I am reading through the Bible, I had been convicted about if I really believe that God is still powerful and can do great and mighty things. To this I say, "Yes!" and may we see a glimpse of His glory.

Lord, You are the great God!

He's the King of all kings, and the Lord of all lords, He's the great and mighty maker of all things. Yet this God of all gods, and Lord of all lords chose to give His Son for you and me. What a great God of all is He! He's a great God! He's the God of all gods!



No comments:

Post a Comment